This land, this water, this air, this planet- this is our legacy to our young.’ - Paul Tsongas
Ecology is vital not only for practical, environmental reasons, but also for the well-being and sanity of students growing up in an increasingly urban world.
Sophian Eco Club is the key to keep students invested in the protection of the world around us.
The activities under the scheme include:
- Motivate the students to keep their surroundings green and clean by undertaking plantation of trees.
- Promote ethos of conservation of water by minimizing the use of water.
- Motivate students to imbibe habits and life style for minimum waste generation, source separation of waste and disposing the waste to the nearest storage point.
- Educate students to create awareness amongst public and sanitary workers, so as to stop the indiscriminate burning of waste which causes respiratory diseases.
- Sensitize the students to minimize the use of plastic bags, not to throw them in public places as they choke drains and sewers, cause water logging and provide breeding ground for mosquitoes.
- Organize tree plantation programmes, awareness programmes such as Quiz, essay, painting competitions, rallies,etc. regarding various environmental issues and educate children about re-use of waste material & preparation of products out of waste.